Content marketing success starts with knowing how to find your target audience. After all, how can you begin creating content before you know who your audience is? Good content marketing takes time. A lot of it. You can’t afford to waste that time with content that isn’t perfectly focused on your target market. You need to find who your people are. But how? That’s exactly what this post will cover.
By the time you’re done reading, you’ll understand:
- How to define your target audience and understand your target market to create a clear picture of exactly who you are (and aren’t) writing for.
- Pick up tips, tactics, and strategies for gathering audience data.
- Use your improved knowledge of your audience to create content that connects with their needs and interests.
Be sure to download the free audience survey and audience persona templates. These items will help you apply the knowledge you’ll gain in this post.
Why Define Your Target Audience?
Content marketers often apply “the Field of Dreams” approach to their work.
It’s true that great content tends to naturally attract an audience. It does not, however, guarantee that it will be the best audience for your brand. That means visitors that are likely to:
- Connect your content to your product.
- Buy your product because of your content.